Benessere.com | dove l'informazione diventa benessere
April 2017
Dietetics
Print this
You are here:   en.benessere.com / Dietetics / Nutrients / Minerals / Phosphorus

PHOSPHORUS

    PHOSPHORUS

PHOSPHORUS
Phosphorus is a structural element in bones, teeth and cells and this term also represents energy-rich phosphate bonds.

  

PHYSIOLOGICAL ACTION
Approximately 85% of the phosphorus in the body is found in bone tissue and the other 15% in soft tissues and extracellular fluids. It is a part of nucleoproteins and participates in the formation of phospholipids, in intracellular hormone message transmissions and in the regulation of the acid-base balance of bodily fluids. Its intestinal absorption is positively influenced by vitamin D.
FOOD SOURCES
Phosphorus is present in cereals, vegetables, milk, beef, fish, poultry and pulses. The bioavailability of phosphorus contained in animal products is better than that contained in plant based foods.
REQUIREMENTS
A balanced diet provides the right amount of phosphorus. The calcium:phosphorus molar ratio is 1.3:1 and therefore it is best not to consume to much phosphorus in respect to calcium because both excretion and absorption are closely related to this ratio. The recommended daily allowance of phosphorus is similar to that of calcium; 1000mg from 7 years old and then after 30 years old, a reduction to 800mg/day.
DEFICIENCY
In clinical conditions of malabsorption or after a prolonged abuse of anti-acid medicines (which can attach themselves to phosphorus), deficiency is shown by means of the following symptoms: anorexia, mental disorders, nerve conduction abnormalities and changes to the musculoskeletal system. Hyperphosphatemia can be a result of chronic renal failure, severe hyperthyroidism and hemolytic-uremic syndrome and it can trigger a tetanic crisis due to hypocalcemia.

PHOSPHORUS

  • News of the month
    Discover all the latest news this month on Benessere.com

Copyright © 1999-2017 A.E.C. srl - ABOUT US